I am very excited to introduce a new Nordic summer series with a selection of Scandinavian inspired recipes created by the brilliant Peta Coote! Peta is a self confessed cat lady with a very positive outlook on life and a penchant for cups of tea who adores creating ‘free from’ recipes. She believes in finding the food that feels good for YOU, whether that’s a delicious fruity smoothie or chocolate ice-cream. Peta aims to inspire others to discover, eat and enjoy the food that makes them feel good, whatever that may be! I have been following Peta for a while now and her recipes always look so delicious, so I am very happy to be able to share some of her magic with you here on that Scandinavian feeling too.
Hope you like the series, and if you want more recipes from Peta head over to her blog!
BREAKFAST: HONEY & CINNAMON ALMOND MUESLI
This homemade muesli is full of warmth, crunch and a touch of sweetness. I was so excited to create a Scandinavian breakfast dish after speaking to Ingrid about contributing to this beautiful blog, breakfast really is my favourite meal of the day.
When I think of Scandinavia, cinnamon rolls, sweet pastries and delightfully wholesome foods come to mind. This honey and cinnamon almond muesli ticks all of those boxes. I blanched my raw almonds before making this. Almond skin contains tannin which actually inhibits the absorption of nutrients, we definitely want to absorb all of the almond goodness in this breakfast.
The mixed seeds provide a nice crunch, I used flax, poppy, chia and sunflower seeds but feel free to use any seeds you personally enjoy. If you are gluten sensitive, be sure to check the oats before toasting, many oats are mixed with flour to thicken, or harvested with other cereals meaning they can contain gluten.
- 80g or ½ cup of raw, skinned almonds
- 180g or 2 cups of gluten free oats
- 1 tsp of coconut oil
- ½ cup of mixed seeds
- generous pinch of salt
- 1 heaped tsp of ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp of ground ginger
- 3 tbsp of honey (can be substituted with syrup)
- In a large frying pan, on a low heat melt 1 teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Once melted and covering the bottom of the pan add ½ cup of raw, skinned almonds. Toast for 30 minutes on low. Give them a stir every five minutes or so and move them around a little.
- When the almonds are toasted and golden, add 2 cups of gluten free oats, mix thoroughly with the almonds.
- Add ½ cup of mixed seeds, a generous pinch of salt and 1 heaped tsp of ground cinnamon along with ½ tsp of ground ginger. Mix well and toast for a further 30 minutes on low heat, stirring every so often.
- Drizzle the honey throughout the muesli, I do so with a fork in order to really cover all of the oats. Mix well and leave for 10 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon the mixture onto a large cold tray and leave to cool.
- Keep in an airtight jar, enjoy either hot or cold with milk – I personally love this muesli with rice milk.
Stay tuned for more delicious Scandinavian inspired recipes this summer by Peta! You can also find her here:
// Photo & text credit: Peta Coote