Puglia lies on the heel of the ‘boot’ of Italy, and is known for the cuisine as well as the rustic landscape, cute white villages and beautiful beaches. I just came back from my annual holiday to this beautiful region and though I would share some images from two of my favourite places; the fisherman’s city Monopoli & the fairytale that is Alberobello.
Monopoli is a small and cute city full of the plants fichi d’India which I have become quite obsessed with. A great place to stay and wander around the old town which is full of trendy restaurants and bars as well as more traditional ones too. It’s an old fisherman’s port and you can therefore enjoy a great selection of seafood.
SOME THINGS I RECOMMEND THERE;
- Stay at Fico Apartments, a trendy new apartment solution right in the middle of the town. We stayed here and loved it!
- Breakfast at Carlo Quinto with a beautiful view out on the sea
- Wander around Centro Historico
- Rent a Vespa for the day at Way to Move to explore even more
- Eat the best panino at Vini & Panini in the cute outdoor area
- Enjoy the best gelato at Gelateria Caruso
- Have a cocktail or two at Tiles, and check out the amazing tiled floor in there
Have you ever heard of Alberobello? It is almost like a dream, full of these adorable little houses called trulli. These house are great examples of Italian folk architecture, a traditional structure found only in this region. Some of the trulli houses are now either stores, restaurants, or available to rent, which I would recommend you do! But many of them are still inhabited by locals, and some even open so that you can walk inside and have a look.
When you walk inside this little town it is like going back in time, or stepping into a weird but beautiful fairytale place. It is the greatest feeling, just getting a bit lost in time for a few hours and wander around..
// Photo credit: Ingrid Opstad